Sunday, February 20, 2011

Forgiveness





Ephesians 4:32
"Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you."

Matthew 6:14-15
"For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins."

This morning in church, my Pastor spoke about forgiveness which is something I have struggled with my entire life.  Over the past few months, I have gone through steps in forgiving the people I feel like have "wronged me" in my past.  The feeling of letting go of the hate is something I never thought I could accomplish but have and the feeling is something I can not describe. 

Below was something I wrote when I was going through the process of forgiving and wanted to share with anyone else who may struggle as I did.  If you are struggling as I do and did with forgiveness, I can not encourage you enough to just let it go. 

May I have forgiveness in my heart for anything I think I've done wrong.

May I forgive myself for what I think were all my past omissions and commissions. They are long gone. I understand that I was a different person then and this one is forgiving the one that I was. May I feel the forgiveness filling me and enveloping me with a sense of warmth and ease.

May I forgive my parents for anything I have ever blamed them for. May I understand that they, too, are different now. May this forgiveness fill them and surround them, and may I know in my heart that this is my most wonderful way of togetherness.

May I forgive my nearest and dearest people for anything that I think they have done wrong or are doing wrong at this time. May they feel that I accept them. May that forgiveness fill them, realizing that this is my expression of love.

May I forgive the people I know, whoever they might be, for whatever it is that I have blamed them for, for what I have judged them for.  May my forgiveness fill their hearts, and surround and envelope them with it, and let it be my expression of love for them.

May I forgive fully any special person towards whom I still have resentment, jealousy, rejection, or dislike. May I remember that everyone is suffering. May this forgiveness come from my heart and reach out to that person completely and totally.


May I forgive any one person, or any situation, or any group of people, whom I am condemning, blaming, or disliking. May my forgiveness be my expression of unconditional love.

May I remember that all human beings are suffering and that my heart needs forgiveness in order to have purity of love. May I look again and see whether there's still anyone or anything anywhere in the world that I blame or condemn. May I forgive them so that there is no separation in my heart.

May I put my attention back on myself and recognize the goodness in me and the effort I am making. May I feel the warmth and ease that comes from my forgiveness.


1 comment:

  1. Wow! This is so beautiful! Your words are very inspiring. They are also challenging, as I am currently in a situation that requires me to repeatedly forgive someone that I have close and frequent contact with. Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete