Sunday, January 16, 2011

Shoes, Shopping and God

We live in a world where the more the merrier and big is better. We believe happiness is all about the glimmer and the glamour, the excitement and the thrills.

People seem to jump from one thing to the next in search of joy. From shopping to clubbing, parties and vacations, we seem to never get enough of them - although I could totally use one right now! By the way it is amazing that people who take vacation these days need another vacation to recover from their vacation.

But are we happy with what we have? Have our activities brought us joy or just plain fatigue?  I know I never seem to be.  I could (and do) have a closet full of shoes that I may never wear but need and had to have them just in case they match that one outfit.  I always tell my daughter that you can never have to many shoes and stand by that.

The problem of looking at joy in these things reminds me of what it use to be like getting drunk, the feelings are all gone the next day we wake up. And like a drunk, we start to go again in a spree. And the endless cycle goes on and on.  I have the closet and credit card bills to prove it.

I wish everything was as easy with starting over as my relationship with God was.  He is the one thing I put on everyday that will never go out of style.  That goes with every outfit.  A gift that didn't cost me anything because it cost him everything.  I don't need to go to the mall to find it because he is everywhere. 

I struggle and always need to remind myself that a closet full of clothes and shoes, those things can never give lasting happiness.

The one place I know I can find joy? Sitting on the couch, in my flannel pajamas, reading the Bible with the one man I know who doesn't care whether my shoes match my pants - God.


1 comment: